brought to you by Reel Grasshopper Productions

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Oldboy

While there are many cult followers of the original 2003 South Korean version of this film, I think they will be relatively pleased with the 2013 Hollywood remake.  The new version, directed by Spike Lee, follows the original story quite closely (if not exactly) and mostly takes what one might call "acceptable liberties".

Notice I said "mostly"...

Certain memorable moments, while not directly present, are often referenced in an offhand manner.  Sometimes this is simply not good enough.  For me, one of the most striking scenes in the 2003 film is when the main character eats an octopus alive.  Guess that star Josh Brolin wasn't quite up for that, so he just relegates to staring at it in a fish tank.

Another major moment Lee doesn't give justice is a ridiculous fight scene that in the original is done in one long take.  Quite an accomplishment that Lee does not duplicate.  A shame.

All that being said, I do think Lee made some great choices in other areas to distinguish his film from the original.  Many I cannot get into for fear of spoilers, but honestly in this case I am not quite sure which version of the film I would say is the better.  The Hollywood version, as you might expect, is easier to follow with a more readily understandable plot flow - but the twist is just as delightfully shocking in the end.  In fact, even though I saw the 2003 and knew what was going to happen, I would still say that the 2013 was less predictable than the original.

Creative, violent, and slightly disturbing - it is a win despite which version you decide to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment